Samsung Galaxy S20 Latest Review for Australia
Samsung Galaxy S20 was released few months back. This awesome smartphone is 5G, with a 120Hz display and comes with upgraded rear cameras make it an outstanding handset. The Galaxy S20 is cheaper, and easier to handle, than the Galaxy S20 Plus and gargantuan Galaxy S20 Ultra, but that doesn’t mean this is a cheap or low-spec device.
With a 6.2-inch screen with a fast 120Hz refresh rate, 5G download speeds, high-spec cameras on both sides of the phone, and a big battery to boot this device is simply wonderful. You could go for the Ultra if you want more storage or a 108MP camera, and can stretch to the price tag, but for day-to-day use the S20 is the best choice for most people.
Samsung Galaxy S20 Specifications
This phone has a powerful new chipset, either a Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 or Exynos 990 as well as either 8GB or 12GB of RAM, depending on whether you buy the 4G or 5G phone.
Touch-sensitivity is also upped, to 240Hz from 120Hz to make games more responsive, by sensing your finger brushes on the screen at a much higher rate than previously.
The camera is another highlight of this phone, with Samsung boosting a lot of specs on the rear array. All three main cameras have been improved including increased pixel sizes to improve night time photography by allowing more light in, and there are also a few software tweaks to improve the overall experience. The return of HDR10+ to the display for punchier and more detailed images when gaming and watching movies, a bit of screen size diversity would be even more welcome.
The telephoto lens is even better than the one on the Galaxy S10 too, allowing you to shoot high-quality 3x optical zoom shots or stretch all the way to a 30x digital zoom. The Galaxy S20 Ultra has a better camera overall, but most people will be more than satisfied with the shooter on this phone.
Another highlight of the Galaxy S20 is its 4,000mAh battery. The expanded capacity has had one negative consequence: it’s squeezed out the headphone jack. It’s the same story with the S20 Plus and S20 Ultra, and it’s the first time Samsung has dropped the feature from its S range.
The Galaxy S20 is missing some of the top-end features that the Galaxy S20 Ultra is showing off, but it’s more affordable and easier to hold or store in your pocket, and while it may not be the most impressive device from Samsung, it’s a powerful phone that will more than satisfy most who buy it.
There are five Galaxy S20 colors in total, but not all of these are available in every market. The options are Cloud Blue, Cosmic Gray, Cloud Pink, Cloud White, and Aura Red.
- Operating System: Android 10
- Processor Chip: Octa-Core 2.73GHz 64-bit
- Internal Memory Capacity: 128GB / 512GB
- RAM: 12GB (128GB), 16GB (512GB)
- Expandable Memory Capacity: Up to 1TB with microSD (sold separately)
- Included Apps: Social Media, Music Player, Video Player and Email
- Camera: Front-facing camera 40MP (10MP); Rear-facing camera: 108MP Wide (12MP) + 48MP Tele + 12MP Ultra Wide + VGADepthVision
- Digital Zoom: 100x Digital Zoom, 10x Hybrid Optic Zoom
- Flash Type: LED
- Video Recording: 8K Recording
- Connectivity: IMS Services, VoLTE, ViLTE, Wi-Fi Calling
- Bluetooth: 5.0
- USB: USB-C
- Wi-Fi: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax 2.4G+5GHz
- GPS: GPS, Galileo, Glonass, BeiDou
- SIM Type: Nano SIM + eSIM
- Battery Capacity Li-Po 5000mAh with 45W Super Fast Charging
- Screen Size: 6.9” Infinity-O Display Dynamic AMOLED
- Main Screen Resolution: 3200×1440 565PPI
- Size & Weight: 76.0mm x 166.9mm x 8.8mm; Weight: 220 grams
In the Box
- SIM Ejection Pin
- Clear Cover
- Quick Start Guide & Safety Instructions
- USB Cable
The cost of Galaxy S20
In Australia, the Galaxy S20 5G price is AU$1,499 for the version with 128GB of storage and 12GB of RAM. You can add extra storage with a microSD card up to 1TB, but if you want 256GB or 512GB of internal storage you’ll have to buy the S20 Ultra.
The phone is also available in a 4G version in some markets, including Australia and priced at AU$1,349 for 8GB of RAM and 128GB of storage. That 4G phone aside, the addition of 5G means you’re paying more for this year’s base model than for the base-model S10.
At Vodafone get the best plan for Galaxy S20 : $53.02/month Over 36 months. Min. cost $1,909.
Buy this phone at Harvey Norman Australia or buy from Samsung store online