Samsung offers Warranty on your mobile phones, tablets and other Samsung products. To get the warranty from Samsung you need to register your mobile with Samsung which makes the process fast. The Australian Competition and Consumer Act (2010) (including the Australian Consumer Law) as well as other laws in Australia guarantee certain conditions, warranties and undertakings, and give you other legal rights, in relation to the quality and fitness for purpose of Samsung products sold in Australia.
In Australia, Samsung goods come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law. You are entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure and compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage. Also you are also entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced if the goods fail to be of acceptable quality and the failure does not amount to a major failure as set out in the Australian Consumer Law.
Here below find the period of warranty on different Samsung products according to your Samsung device:
- Samsung Mobile Warranty: The warranty on Samsung mobile is for the period of 24 months. This warranty period does not apply to batteries and accessories which are dealt with exclusively under battery warranty.
- Samsung Tablet Warranty: The warranty on Samsung tablet is for the period of 24 months. This warranty period does not apply to batteries and accessories which are dealt with exclusively under battery warranty.
- Samsung Accessories Warranty: The warranty on Samsung accessories is for the period of 6 months.
- Samsung Battery Warranty: The warranty on Samsung battery is for the period of 12 months and in box embedded for 24 months.
- Samsung Bluetooth headsets Warranty: The warranty on Samsung Bluetooth headsets is for the period of 12 months.
- Samsung Gear devices Warranty: The warranty on Samsung gear devices is for the period of 24 months.
The period during which this Warranty is in effect will depend upon the Samsung product to which it relates. In all cases, the commencement date for the period is the actual day of purchase, as reflected on the Authorised Reseller’s or Distributor’s invoice/receipt provided to you.
When and how can you make a Warranty claim?
You can make a warranty claim if you consider that the Samsung product which you have purchased is not of acceptable quality, has a latent defect, or is otherwise not compliant with the conditions, warranties, undertakings, and legal rights are given to you under Australian Law (for example, it appears faulty, or does not work at all or properly), you can make a claim under this Warranty.
Also except where an International Product Warranty has been provided with your Samsung product, warranty service will only be provided in the specific country where the Samsung product was originally purchased. For example, if you have purchased the Samsung product within Australia, warranty service will be limited to Australia only.
To make a warranty claim you can either by:
- Contact toll-free number 1300 362 603; or 1300 425 299 for Samsung Galaxy devices
- Visit the nearest Samsung Customer Service Plaza
- Claim online at www.samsung.com/au.
You can register your product online at www.samsung.com/au While registration is not necessary to make a claim under this Warranty, it may assist Samsung to process any claim which you may make more quickly.
When you make any claim under warranty it is essential that you provide a copy of your proof of purchase of the Samsung product, whether in person, by email or by fax.
Note that you will not be able to gain the benefit of this Warranty without making a claim. A claim must be made within the Warranty Period.
What can you expect in the warranty claim?
Well, if your claim under the warranty is genuine then :
Samsung or its agent will either repair the Samsung product or, if authorised by Samsung, pay you for the cost of a repair of the Samsung product, or replace the Samsung product with the same or similar product or refund you the cost of a replacement, in each case depending upon what is reasonable in the circumstances and with regard to Samsung’s statutory obligations and at no cost to you.
Goods presented for repair may be replaced by refurbished goods of the same type with equal or greater functionality rather than being repaired. Refurbished parts may be used to repair the goods
Also if the failure to comply with the warranty is a major failure or a failure of a substantial character, you may reject the goods or require Samsung to pay you compensation for any reduction in the value of the goods below the price paid or payable by you for the goods.
Note each claim is assessed on its own merits and you may have statutory rights outside of the Warranty Period. If Samsung provides you with either a replacement or refund, you immediately transfer ownership in the original Samsung product or part to Samsung. If Samsung repairs the goods, you immediately transfer ownership in any residual parts to Samsung. Any such resolution by Samsung of a claim under this Warranty by you does not otherwise detract from any other statutory rights which you might have in the circumstances, including your right to monetary compensation for a valid claim.
What is not covered in the warranty?
According to Samsung unless stated otherwise, this Warranty does not extend to loss caused by normal wear and tear, fire, water (liquid spillage or ingression), theft, vermin or insect infestation.
The exclusion for loss caused by water liquid spillage or ingression does not apply to the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active Mobile Phone or Samsung Galaxy S5 Mobile Phone
The exclusion for loss caused by water does not apply to the Samsung Gear 2, Samsung Gear 2 Neo and Samsung Gear Fit
Point is that this Warranty does not cover water damage to the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active Mobile Phone or Samsung Galaxy S5 Mobile Phone where the water damage was caused by:
- improper closure of the back cover or the USB cover of the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active Mobile Phone or Samsung Galaxy S5 Mobile Phone; or
- submersion of the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active Mobile Phone or Samsung Galaxy S5 Mobile Phone in water for 30 minutes or more; or
- the depth of the water at which the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active Mobile Phone or Samsung Galaxy S5 Mobile Phone was submerged was greater than or equal to 1 metre.
Warranty does not cover water damage to the Samsung Gear 2, Samsung Gear 2 Neo and Samsung Gear Fit where the water damage was caused by submersion of the Samsung Gear 2, Samsung Gear 2 Neo and Samsung Gear Fit in water for 30 minutes or more.
This Warranty does not cover damage caused by:
- misuse or abusive use of the Samsung product, including physical abuse;
- incorrect operation or not following the operation instructions (as stated in the Product Operation Manual or manufacturer’s instructions provided with the Samsung product);
- improper installation;
- incorrect or improper maintenance or failure to maintain the Samsung product;
- failure to clean or improper cleaning of the product;
- incorrect voltage or non-authorised electrical connections;
- adverse external conditions such as power surges and dips, thunderstorm activity, acts of God, acts of terrorism, damage caused by vermin, or any other act or circumstance beyond Samsung’s control;
- exposure to excessive heat, moisture or dampness;
- exposure to abnormally corrosive conditions;
- use of non authorised/non-standard, defective or incompatible parts;
- password setting/ resetting and computer virus;
- repair, modification or other work carried out on the Samsung product other than by Authorised Samsung Service Personnel; and
- any damage caused by micro sims where the product is not specifically designed to accept them.
This Warranty does not cover Samsung products purchased in an auction.
If the Samsung product you are using has been rented or leased by you, and you consider a claim might be made under this Warranty, you should refer the matter to the rental or leasing company immediately and they will handle the matter.
This Warranty does not cover service costs in replacing and maintaining consumable parts which have ceased working through normal wear and tear.
Warranty does not cover Samsung products which, at the time you consider a claim might be made under this Warranty, do not bear the original manufacturer’s factory-applied serial number and IMEI number in its original form (for instance where it or the sticker bearing it has been removed, wiped out, rubbed off, or altered).
This Warranty does not cover the loss of any data howsoever caused. You shall be responsible for backing up and protecting data against loss, damage or destruction. Please note that the repair of goods may result in loss of data.
This Warranty does not cover any defects not notified to Samsung within the Warranty Period, however, you may also have statutory rights outside of the warranty period.
You may be able to get your non-Australian model repaired by Samsung Electronics Australia at your cost (provided that your device is repairable).
You will need to contact authorised services centres to verify whether your non-Australian model can be repaired and, if so, the associated repair costs. Also, note that not all non-Australian models will be able to be repaired due to the differences in models sold in different markets. (source: Samsung support)